We spent Memorial Day weekend remembering the fallen and celebrating life. I ran the Cascades Firechase Memorial Day 10k in the morning, and Patrick and the kids made it in time for my finish this year. ;)
Then we did a bit of yardwork, (I pick-axed a hole in the rock/clay "soil" of our backyard for our new maple tree while Patrick stained the fence) before heading over to Reston for some festivities. We celebrated Chloe's first birthday! Uncle Tim got the party started with some bubbles.
The birthday girl remained calm despite all the excitement.
1 year old!!
She donned more comfortable attire for the gift portion of the afternoon, and she had plenty of helpers when it came time to unwrap.
Quick wardrobe change and time for the baptism! Tim's mom Carol, Tim, Chloe and Sarah.
Pastor Gary, who I met in college, married Patrick and I 10 years ago and is now the pastor at the church I attended as a child. He performed Chloe's baptism; small world!
Grandma caught a ride home in Dad's car.
The next morning we woke up bright and early to dig more holes and plant 4 more trees (2 green giant arborvitae, a river birch, and a yoshino cherry). Patrick had rented a truck to get them home on Friday, and a kind neighbor had helped us unload them. The nursery had used a forklift to get the maple and cherry into the truck and it was absolutely amazing how heavy they were. I swear the rootballs were made of cement. We dug all the holes and planted three of the trees, then waited for reinforcements to help move the cherry. A board with some holes drilled into it, some rope, and two extra helpers did the trick.
It just doesn't look that heavy, but it weighed hundreds of pounds!
After we got the last one in, Uncle Tim gave the kids rides around the yard on the board, which was thrilling. A quick dinner at 5 Guys.
The next day we took our first real bike ride where Isla rode her own vehicle. She's been waiting all Spring to ride to an ice cream shop and this was our test run. We did a loop through the neighborhoods with a quick playground stop and she did great, even making it up the big hill to the top of our street. I think Isla's ready for the real deal! Here is Kellan enjoying his celebratory freezer pop.
Some relaxing kiddos.
You don't need the passcode to take photos from my phone, so this has been happening quite a bit recently...






















0 comments:
Post a Comment