September 21, 2009

A Burg Weekend

On Saturday Brennan and I revisited Burg Trips. We had passed it during the 10k last weekend and I wanted to go back and explore a little. It turns out that the old moated "castle" is now an assisted living home, so we didn't end up crossing the bridge to poke around in the courtyard. Maybe next time. For this visit we wandered around the paths surrounding the moat. Brennan enjoyed watching the ducks and throwing acorns into the water.



During our nature walk we collected chestnuts to include in our *seasonal decor at home. They look very nice filling up a glass vase and Brennan had a great time collecting them and then toting them around in a bag. At one point we stopped to sit on a bench, eat some pretzels and stare at the water in the moat. I'm not sure what the fall colors will be like here since we don't have many forested areas, so I tried to take some pictures in case this is all we get!

(*I love Fall and have some very nice decorations that I enjoy putting out each year. Right now those are in the basement and I am waiting for Patrick to get back to Germany to retrieve them for me. Why can't I just go down there and get them myself? Because last week I saw a hairy spider the size of my hand. My hand!!! And we all know spiders love basements.)



On Sunday we joined the McLallens at Burg Satzvey, a beautiful castle located about an hour southeast of here. Burg Satzvey has been in the same family for 300 years and is kept in great condition. It is only open a few times a year for markets and festivals. This weekend was the Viking Festival. Here are some pictures of the castle, Brennan and Colin watching some swans, and me doing some hunting. I was shooting at a boar painted on a target. I only got 3 tries but I nicked his ear the 3rd time. Good thing dinner doesn't depend on my archery skills!



Here are more pictures of the main courtyard and gate, Wendy and her mother with Brandt, and Brennan and Colin trying to get the sword out of the stone. We couldn't get into the main castle itself and it is still used as a residence, but I was so tempted to sneak in and snoop around!

0 comments: