September 20, 2009

Heinsberg Stadtfestival & Terry Fox Run

Last Saturday Brennan and I attended the Heinsberg Stadtfestival with Christiana and her girls, Paula and Katja. The first thing we saw was this little airplane (pictured below), and Brennan kept saying "airplane, Daddy!" We did a little shopping, watched some of the acrobatic entertainment, stopped for some ice cream and then again for some bratwurst. And did I mention that all naps were skipped? Yes, the kids got a little slap-happy and a meltdown or two did occur. It was a really fun day though, and well worth it. Here are pictures of the airplane, "Air Sol" performing, the kids with their winnings from duck fishing, and Christiana rubbing elbows with the new Burgermeister.




On Sunday we teamed up with Jamie to run a 10k. It was a Terry Fox run and was hosted by Canadians in the town of Niederheid. We loaded Brennan up with goldfish and water, took our page of directions and set out. The course was great, except for one uphill unpaved portion that was very difficult with the stroller. The event itself though was very poorly organized. There were no bib numbers, which was ok although I admit that the thrill of wearing those is part of the reason I participate in organized runs. But there were also no start and finish lines and no official timing. And the distance was "approximately a 10k." There was also no official start time, so people just sort of took off when they felt like it, which completely negated the other thrill of organized runs: the camaraderie! Anyway, we still had a really fun time and the course was beautiful. We ran past Burg Trips, a local castle which is now an assisted living home, along the Wurm River and through some very pretty pastures. We obviously couldn't stop to look around, but I managed to take some photos while running and some of them aren't even too blurry!



Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Kristin said...

I am so jealous that you have a new running partner!